Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Cheesy pasta, the perfect remedy to a hangover


It’s the holidays and we can sometimes go overboard with the drinking thang. Although I’m pretty much spared this year (yes, I’m pregnant so no boozing for me), people around me can go wild and crazy. They might even regret it the day after… which is the case for my husband today!

I have to admit I’m a huge pizza fan when it comes to hangover food. Add to that a can of Coke and I’m usually all set. But sometimes the pain is not that bad and I feel like eating something a little fancier while watching a cheesy movie. But the food still needs to be greasy, heavy, and loaded with cheese. Mmmmm cheese!! And of course, it has to be easy to make with readily accessible food.

From the leftovers I’ve got in my fridge after the Christmas food splurge, here’s a nice recipe I made up. It’s greasy, cheesy and should do the job.

HANGOVER PANCETTA CHEESE PASTA
Makes about 4 portions

INGREDIENTS
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 small red onions cut in small pieces
150 g of pancetta in small dices
4-5 garlic cloves, chopped
1 ½ cup of 15% (or even 35%!) cream
150 g of Ricotta cheese
½ cup grated Gruyere
½ cup of grated Parmesan
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
Salt & pepper

PREPARATION
In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, brown the onions in the olive oil.  Add the pancetta a let sear for a good 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sear for another 5 minutes.
 
Lower the heat of your and add the cream, Ricotta, Gruyere and Parmesan. Blend well. Add the thyme leaves along with salt and pepper to taste. Cook over low heat for 5 to 10 minutes.

Serve with fresh or dried linguine pasta.

Note: I didn’t have any Gruyere at home so I used Charlevoix cheese. Just get a cheese loaded with flavor and it should do the job.

I usually keep a piece of pancetta or bacon in my freezer at all times. That way I have access to a tasty ingredient whenever I need it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment