Friday, March 18, 2011

Chocolate or Caramel? Maple Syrup Pouding Chomeur

Apparently there’s a saying that says people are either chocolate or caramel. What does it mean? It means you’re more inclined towards one taste or the other. So what are you? Personally, I’m caramel! Yep… I’m one of those people who won’t flip over and go berserk for a bar of chocolate, but who will eat anything remotely close to caramel right out of the jug. And this stands for Maple Syrup.


Oh my!! If you don’t live in Canada, then your access to the sweet brownish liquid is probably either impossible or simply damn expensive. Over here, in Quebec, the sweet syrup is not only easy to find and not that expensive, it gets even cheaper at this time of the year (I just bought some on sale at Provigo). It’s not only easily accessible, but we’re totally encouraged and pushed into buying/eating/indulging on the sweet stuff. A lot of people even escape to the cabane à sucre to indulge on all sorts of greasy fatty foods cooked in Maple Syrup. It’s traditional over here and, somehow, it’s one of the last traditions French Canadians are keeping alive these days.

As I’m a big Maple Syrup fan (I can drink it as if it was a glass of water… not something I’m very proud of…), and as we are entering the season, I just HAD to make something out of Maple Syrup. So when my sister invited us to dinner last night and asked me if I could make some kind of a dessert, I knew exactly what I was going to make… I had this one lined up for quite a long time: Pouding chomeur.

POUDING CHOMEUR
Makes about 9 servings

INGREDIENTS
2 cups Maple Syrup
2 cups 35% cream
1 ½ cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
½ cup unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
¾ cups milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
 
PREPARATION
Preheat your oven at 400˚F.

In a saucepan, bring the maple syrup and cream to a boil. Pour the mixture into a large Pyrex baking dish. Set aside.

In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

In another bowl, cream the butter and sugar using an electric mixer. Add the eggs, one at a time, until the mixture is homogenous. With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients alternating with the milk and vanilla.

Gently poor the mixture on top of the syrup mixture. Put in the oven and bake until a toothpick inserted in the centre of a ball comes out clean (about 35-40 minutes).

You can serve warm or cold. Personally, I prefer it warm! Enjoy the weekend!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment