Thursday, March 31, 2011

Trying Something Old School: Tapioca Pudding With Coconut Milk


When I went to the supermarket the other day, gazing through the isles, my eyes were caught by the sight of tapioca pearls. Not to be mistaken with rice or couscous, tapioca pearls are widely used by the Asians in their deserts. Some of you might have tried bubble tea, in which you can find the pearls.

My dad always says that one of his favourite desert is tapioca pudding. I don’t doubt him, but I’ve never really seen him eat any of it. Maybe it’s because it’s such an old school desert. It’s not like I’ve ever  seen tapioca pudding on a restaurant’s desert menu. But come to think of it, my dad did eat a whole lot of it when I was a little girl… when my mom used to make it. That I remember. Maybe it is his favourite desert after all, he just doesn't have the opportunity to eat it!

You can guess that by seeing the tapioca bag I decided I would try to make a pudding out of it. I had never done so in my life and felt like having a light desert. Something different that wasn’t a cake. After I made my pudding, I brought a Tupperware filled with the goody pudding to my parents’ house and you should’ve seen my dad's face. He was ecstatic at the idea of having his desert. Just to see the look on his face, trying out this recipe was totally worth it. On top of it, it was absolutely delicious. So much that my sister is pushing me to get the recipe. So here it is! 

TAPIOCA PUDDING WITH COCONUT MILK
Makes 4 servings

INGREDIENTS
½ vanilla been or ½ tsp vanilla extract
1 can (14oz) coconut milk
½ cup milk
½ cup sugar
Pinch of salt
¼ cup medium tapioca pearls
2 egg yolks

PREPARATION
With the tip of a knife, split the vanilla bean in half. Remove the seeds. In a double boiler, heat the milk, coconut milk, ¼ cup of sugar, salt and vanilla pod and seeds. Sprinkle in the tapioca while stirring. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 40-45 minutes.

In a bowl, combine the egg yolks and the remaining sugar with a whisk. Stir into the tapioca mixture. Continue cooking while stirring until the pudding thickens (about 5 minutes). Remove the vanilla pod. If you are using vanilla extract, add it at this time. Remove from heat.



Enjoy warm or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment