Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter Treat: Chocolate Fondant


Happy Easter to all of you! I hope you’re enjoying a magnificent day and that you’re totally indulging in chocolate decadence. After all, it’s one of the little pleasures of this day, isn’t it?

As you’ve read before, I’m not chocolate’s number one fan. Although I cannot deny its goodness, I don’t think it’s the best thing in the world (please don’t hate me for this statement). But I have to admit that there are a few chocolate deserts that do get me going and excited. Today, we’re having friends over for dinner and I don’t think I can make them food without baking a great desert. And one of my personal favorites is, indeed, made of chocolate. It’s a chocolate fondant. A decadent piece of melting, hot chocolate. If I can’t resist it, I don’t think many can.


The best part of this desert is that it takes absolutely no time to make, and hardly any effort. I made mine in 10 minutes and I’ll bake the little goodies for 10 minutes right before serving them. I may not be the best baker in the world but this desert is honestly the easiest thing you’ll ever make. The only thing that you can worry about is cooking time. If you cook it too much, it won’t be melting. And if the center isn’t melting, well, then, the purpose of these little pieces of art is completely lost. So get your hands on a good timer and you’ll see, things will go really smoothly!  

CHOCOLATE FONDANT
Make 4 servings

INGREDIENTS
3 eggs
2 egg yolks
3 tbsp sugar
115 g (4oz) semisweet chocolate (your best choice would be 60-65% cocoa)
½ cup unsalted butter
1/3 cup flour

PREPARATION
Butter and flour 4 ramekins (size of ½ cup).


In a bowl, beat the eggs and the egg yolks with the sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy. About 3 minutes should do.


In a small saucepan, melt the butter over very low heat. Add the chocolate and stir until it’s completely melted.


Add the chocolate preparation to the egg mixture. Once everything is well blended, fold in the flour. Divide the mixture between the 4 ramekins.


When you’re about ready to serve your desert, preheat your oven at 375˚F. Put the ramekins in the center of the oven for 10 minutes. Immediately turn over on a plate and unmold. Decorate with icing sugar. Serve hot with small berries.


Note: You can prepare your ramekins a day ahead, cover them and keep them in the fridge. Take them out of the fridge for about 1 hour before cooking them.


1 comment:

  1. Hello, I don't know if you remember me but I was at your wedding and I'm a really good friend of the Majkowsky brothers, bueno I lived in NYC and I'm studying to become a chef at the Natural Gourmet Institute and I love cooking too. This dessert looks amazing! I have a lot of recipes - organic, vegan and vegetarian. Tell your husband that I still have his jokes tape...

    ReplyDelete