Monday, April 4, 2011

Inspired By Another Blogger: Adapted Korean Rice Noodles With Vegetables

As a blog writer, I’m always looking for new cooking ideas. As a result, I constantly find great stuff to read on the net. I don’t just write blogs, I’ve also gotten really fond of reading them. If you dig deep, you can find some great stuff out there. People have a lot to say and teach. The only problem is that there are so many blogs you can easily get lost in its web.

Staying at home these days and not working (the joys of maternity leave!), I have extra time to spare which I often spend looking for really interesting new sites. There’s one I found a few weeks back, which is pretty interesting. Just the other day a recipe that was posted inspired me. The guy who put this up, a dad learning to cook, is always trying to find ways to make his toddler eat her vegetables. I don’t feed my baby this kind of food yet but I do have to convince my husband to eat his vegetables. So I thought that this recipe would be a killer success to go along with the salmon I had, which I cooked Asian style. It did work although I have to admit it was hard to get the buk choys out of the plate!

If this recipe also inspires you, have fun with it. I played around with the ingredients and modified quite a few things. As long as you have the basic flavors, your noodles will have that Asian taste which is absolutely great. And it’s super easy to make!  

ADAPTED KOREAN RICE NOODLES WITH VEGETABLES
Makes about 4 portions as an accompaniment

INGREDIENTS
Noodles
150g rice noodles
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
6 fresh shiitake mushrooms or a 5.5oz can of shiitake, sliced or kept whole
6 oz fresh enoki mushrooms
1 tsp garlic, finely chopped
1 scallion, chopped
1 carrot, julienned
About 8 baby bok choy or about 8oz frozen spinach leaves, thawed and drained
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp roasted sesame seeds
Salt & pepper

Seasoning
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp xérès or sherry vinegar
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 scallion, chopped
1 tsp fresh grated ginger

PREPARATION
In a small bowl, mix all of the seasoning ingredients.

Bring about 6 cups of water to a boil in a medium skillet. Cut the noodles into 5-inches long pieces and throw them in the boiling water. Cook as indicated on the packaging (usually 2 minutes). Drain and keep on the side in a large bowl.

In a wok, mix the sesame oil, soy sauce, and onion. Stri-fry over medium heat for about 2 minutes. Add the shiitake mushrooms and cook until they are soft and golden brown. Add the enoki mushrooms, garlic, scallions, carrot, buk choy (or spinach) and sugar along with the seasoning mix, and stir-fry for another two or three minutes. Remove and transfer to the glass noodles bowl.

Mix the vegetables with the noodles, adding the sesame seeds. Season with salt & pepper to taste.

Serve warm or at room temperature. 


No comments:

Post a Comment