Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Eggs Cocotte For Sunday Brunch

The other day I had some girlfriends over for brunch. There’s nothing like a good brunch at home when you’re not really in the mood to go to the restaurant. I’m a big fan of Sunday breakfast with eggs but, somehow, brunch is not something I master very well. I always get so impressed when I’m invited over at friends’ house for brunch and find out they have all these original and great breakfast ideas… Waffles, pancakes, breakfast pizza, special omelettes, etc. When I invite, I never know what to prepare and always end up making scrambled eggs!!


But this time was different. Because I’m not having a lot of guests over for dinner these days, I felt like making a great breakfast with something original and out of the ordinary. So I thought of my little “cocottes”, those individual serving size dishes that go in the oven. They’re cute and perfect for the occasion. So I crafted a special mix of eggs, bacon, mushroom and cheese; my own personal version of a great omelette… only much cuter than the traditional version!

Add to that great seasonal fruits (aren’t they amazing these days?), fresh croissants, and café au lait and you’re in for business. I don’t know if my guests were that impressed with my creation but I certainly was… considering what my Sunday breakfast usually looks like! Make this recipe as a treat for yourself or to share with friends. You can even have it for diner!

EGGS, BACON, MUSHROOM AND CHEESE COCOTTE
Makes 4 servings

INGREDIENTS
8 eggs
8 bacon slices, cooked crispy and cut in ½ inch pieces (keep 4 for decoration; keep the fat for cooking)
1 shallot, thinly chopped
1 cup mushrooms, chopped
Salt & pepper
1 cup 15% cream
1 cup Jarlesberg or Gruyère, grated

PREPARATION
Preheat your oven at 400˚C.

In a large saucepan, cook the shallot and the mushrooms in 1 tbsp of the leftover bacon fat, over medium heat, until nice and tender (about 7-10 minutes). Add the cream and let simmer for about 2 minutes. Season with salt & pepper.



Break 2 eggs in each cocotte. Divide the cut bacon between the 4 cocottes. Cover each cocotte with the mushroom and cream mixture. Top with the cheese. Finish off by adding a slice of cooked bacon.




Put in the oven for 7 minutes at 400˚F. Bring the heat up to broil and cook for 2 minutes. Serve immediately.

Note: The great thing about this recipe is that you can prepare it early in the morning and pop the cocottes in the oven just before serving. That way you can entertain your guests without having to cook at the same time.



No comments:

Post a Comment