Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Tasty Fish Taco; Healthy Yet Fun To Eat!

Don’t you feel like summer is flying by? It only just started and I feel like it’s ending already. Every year it’s the same thing; there is so much more to do, so many more people to see… the agenda is fully booked and time flies by. It seems like time to cook also flies by. Who wants to stay indoors to cook a huge roast when you can go chill under the sun and eat a great big ice cream? Hey, I love to cook by I am no masochist!

So the other day I did this recipe. I made it up on the fly (I felt like having fish which is something I crave lately… must be the heat). It took me a few minutes to make and realized that I had created something incredible for summer. I’m sure some of you have tried to make fish tacos before, but for me, it was a first. I thought it was amazing!! It’s healthy yet looks like junk food (I even fooled my 1 year old who was asking for more)! You can even prepare the different elements in advance and then pop the goody in the oven for a few minutes. If you’re dying to run outside to enjoy the fast disappearing summer, this is perfect for your beat. I know I’m going to be making this one close to once a week. I can’t wait to have it again!

FISH TACOS
Makes 2-3 servings

INGREDIENTS
Fish
400g Fresh Cod
1 tbsp olive oil
½ tbsp butter
¼ white onion, finely diced
2 garlic cloves
1 tbsp smoke paprika
¼ tsp ground coriander
¼ tsp cumin
Salt & pepper

Salsa
2 small fresh mangos, diced
¼ red onion, finely diced
8 small vine tomatoes, quartered
2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
Juice of 1 lime
2 tbsp olive oil
Hot sauce (chipotle or scotch bonnet is ideal)
Salt

Topping
Old age cheddar, shredded
Sour cream
Tortillas (flour or corn)

PREPARATION
In a large cooking pan, heat the olive oil and the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and the garlic and cook until softened. Add the cod and cook until it breaks into small pieces (only a few minutes will do). Season with smoke paprika, coriander, cumin, salt & pepper. Set aside.


In a bowl, mix together the mango, red onion, vine tomatoes and cilantro. Add the lime juice and olive oil. Season with salt and hot sauce. Set aside.


When ready to serve, preheat the oven at 475˚F. On a tortilla, lay some of the fish mixture and top with grated cheese. Put in the over for 5-6 minutes, until the cheese has melted. Put the tortilla on a serving plate and top with some of the salsa and sour cream. Serve immediately.


Note: you can prepare the fish in advance and keep in the fridge until you’re ready to serve. 

2 comments:

  1. I am making this tonight! Planned on baked fish (again) but now I have a new, tasty alternative! Thanks so much - I love ALL your recipes :) Keep them coming! Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  2. NICE!!! Thanks so much for the compliment! I'll make sure to keep the good recipes coming. The choice is neverending! Enjoy the fish tonight!

    ReplyDelete