Wednesday, July 6, 2011

My Version Of A Nasi Goreng (Fried Rice)


On this rainy day, I need to prepare something that’s easy to make, satisfying for the tummy and for which I have all the ingredients at home. Not an easy task, I have to admit. Still, I’m one who’s prepared most of the time and one who always keeps a nice stash of non-perishables in my cupboard!

Today, my creativity has targeted an Asian dish: Nasi Goreng. Nasi Goreng finds its origin in Indonesia and Malaysia and pretty much means fried rice. I call my version of the dish “improved” simply because I gave it my own twist. To make it more fun and colorful, I added a few ingredients. This way, I’m making sure we’re getting a few veggies, protein and some crunchiness which is always fun in the mouth. I’ve indicated optional next to the ingredients I’ve added. You can decide to make the normal version or put your own twist to it, depending on what you’ve got at home. The easy thing about this recipe is that you can make your rice in advance. When you’re ready to cook, it’ll take you about 10 minutes to get the whole thing done. This is fantastic on a weeknight when time is limited!


IMRPOV NASI GORENG
Makes 4 servings

INGREDIENTS
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp Sambal Olek (2 if you like it hot!)
125g raw shrimps, peeled
125g raw chicken, diced
3 green shallots, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp soya sauce
2 tbsp oisin sauce (optinal)
1 tbsp fish sauce (optional)
4 eggs
3 cups cold cooked rice
1 small can (8 oz) bamboo shoots (optional)
1 small can (8 oz) water chestnut (optional)
½ cup green beans (optional)
1 can (7.4 oz) unpeeled whole straw mushrooms (optional)

PREPARATION
In a small bowl, mix together the green shallots, garlic, soya, oisin and fish sauces. Set aside.



In a wok, heat the oil over high heat and add the Sambal Olek and chicken. Cook the chicken until it is colored.


Add the shrimps, sauce mixture, bamboo shoots, water chestnut, green beans, straw mushrooms, and rice. Cook for another 5 minutes, until the rice is hot.


I a small pan, cook the eggs separately, over easy.


Place the rice in a dome shape on a plate. Cover with and egg and decorate with pieces of tomato and cucumber.  


1 comment:

  1. My mouth is watering...it makes me hungry!!!

    ReplyDelete