Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A Sugary Delight: Chocolate Pot De Crème. A Special Recipe For Vero

I’ve come to a cool realization lately… People actually read this blog! If you’re reading these lines, you’re probably thinking: ‘Well yeah, of course I read this blog!’. But things are not that obvious when you’re the one actually writing the lines. When I first started off, I needed a kick, something to keep me entertained and stimulated while I was at home on maternity leave. But I never thought I would actually get people to read me and appreciate the stuff (i.e. recipes) that I post. Lately, some of you have showed a true interest and a sincere appreciation for what I write and to you (you know who you are!), I say thank you. Thanks for reading me, for trying out my recipes, and for letting me know how things turn out. I looooove hearing from you!

So the other night I went a bit overboard with my wine drinking (hey, I’m aloud, I haven’t drank in 2 years!) and I promised a friend, whom I also realized was one of my fans (should I really qualify you or anyone else as being a fan?), that I would post a desert recipe for her. She’s a fine connoisseur of all deserts and a true lover of the sugar rush… So for her, I’m posting one of my most difficult recipes up to now. Deserts are never easy (I should know, I usually am terrible at making them) and this one should only be tried by those of you who either excel at desert making or who are truly patient and willing to take on a good cooking challenge. This one is perfect and Vero, if you nail this one, I promise you won’t be disappointed. On top of it, there’s no yogurt in the recipe! Enjoy.

CHOCOLATE ‘POT DE CRÈME’
CARAMEL WHIPPED CREAM
SALTED ALMONDS
Makes 6 servings

CHOCOLATE ‘POT DE CRÈME’
INGREDIENTS
½ cup milk
½ cup 35% cream
1 tbsp sugar
3 egg yolks
1 gelatin sheet, rehydrated
1 1/3 cup milk chocolate (40% cocoa)

PREPARATION
In a saucepan, bring to a boil the cream, milk and sugar.

In a bowl, slightly whisk the egg yolks. While whisking, gradually and very slowly pour the hot creamy liquid onto the egg yolks. Don’t go too fast or you will get an omelet instead of a creamy mixture!


Pour the egg and cream mixture back into the saucepan and cook over low heat, constantly whisking, until the cream becomes thick and creamy (it should stick to the back of a spoon). Take off the heat and add the gelatin. Blend well.

Add the chocolate (it should be in small pieces) to the hot mixture and blend until it’s completely melted.

Pour into separate serving bowls or glasses. Cover with cellophane and put in the fridge for a few hours.

CARAMEL WHIPPED CREAM
INGREDIENTS
1 ½ cups 35% cream
½ vanilla bean, split in half and grated
1/3 cup + 1 tbsp brown sugar
1 gelatin sheet, rehydrated

PREPARATION
In a small saucepan, bring the cream and the vanilla to a boil. Take off the heat and keep aside.


In another saucepan, put the brown sugar and cook over high heat, constantly blending with a wooden spoon. Once the sugar is completely melted and starts to boil, bring the heat to the lowest and gradually add in the hot cream mixture. Be careful, everything is extremely hot at this stage.

Once the cream is completely added in, cook for 1 more minute, making sure the caramel is completely melted. Take off the heat and add the gelatin.

Pour the hot mixture into a bowl that you’ve put over a bigger bowl filled with ice cubes. Let cool.


Once the mixture is completely cooled, pour over the chocolate mixture. Cover with cellophane and put in the fridge for another few hours.

SALTED ALMONDS
INGREDIENTS
1 egg white
1 cup whole almonds, skin off
3 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt (Maldon is the best!)

PREPARATION
Preheat your oven at 350˚F.

In a bowl, whisk the egg white so it becomes bubbly. Add the almonds and make sure they are completely covered with the egg white.


Put the almonds on a baking sheet covered with a silicone baker’s sheet or wax paper (making sure you don’t put any excess egg white), and sprinkle with the sugar and salt. Cook in the oven for about 8 minutes.


SERVING
When ready to serve, take the cellophane off the serving bowls and decorate with the almonds. You can even sprinkle a little bit of cocoa powder on top. 




7 comments:

  1. Ok, so my name is Véro, and I'm the sugar-and-desert-obsessed person who inspired this blog entry, and I'M SO THRILLED!!!!! This looks beyond amazing.... it looks orgasmic!!! You're the best, Soph!! I will send the link to my boyfriend right away so he can get the ingredients and start studying the recipe... ha! ha! Let me explain: I don't actually cook... But I faithfully read this blog every day and when I fall in love with a recipe (which is often!!), I get my boyfriend to make it!!
    This desert really looks incredible, I'm so impressed that you found the time to make this... can't wait to try it!! And by the way... YES, a lot of people read your blog and look forward to seeing your new recipes and creative ideas... So when are you opening a restaurant?? LOL I would probably come every day and get really fat!!

    Thanks again!!

    Véro

    ReplyDelete
  2. Véro! You absolutely have to tell us how the desert turns out! It's not easy but I'm sure your boyfriend can tackle a good challenge. You're lucky... take advantage of his talent! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still waiting!! He's being so lazy... I might actually have to do this myself!! Oh no!! What has my life come to?? I have to feed myself now?? I feel so...underprivileged! LOL

    I think I need to put the pressure on and actually buy the ingredients and spread them out on the counter.... that should work!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can confirm you that this desert is orgasmic!
    Thanks Sophie
    Elena xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sof, on verse la crème liquide sur le chocolat? Sur la photo on dirait que la crème a été "fouettée" et qu'elle se tient toute seule (et qu'elle ne couvre pas toute la surface du chocolat). Je ne comprends pas...
    Je veux essayer la recette ce weekend!
    mimi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mimi!! Si tu regardes la recette vers la fin, tu dois faire refroidir le mélange à la crème complètement avant de le mettre sur le chocolat. C'est pour ça que ça a l'air "fouetté"!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah! Ok, faque en refroidissant ça va devenir plus crémeux... Ben oui, j'avais oublié la gélatine. Ok, c'est bon.... (I'm so insecure when it comes to making desert!!!).
    Merci Sof! Je t'en donnerai des nouvelles.
    mimi

    ReplyDelete