Monday, August 29, 2011

Lamb Tajine Isn’t That Hard To Make


These days, it feels like I have writers block. You know, the feeling of being in front of a blank page and not knowing what to write about. Only my problem isn’t writers block, it’s cooker’s block! I don’t know if it’s because its summer but I don’t feel like cooking these days and when I do, I like to make easy stuff I know how to make; stuff not interesting enough to add to this blog.

What do you do when such a thing happens? I’m thinking time will make the feeling go away. And maybe that winter will bring me back to life. Isn’t that sad? I don’t want summer to end so it’s like saying I don’t want to revive!

Ok so enough of the depressing stuff! I still make a few interesting things in a week and this is a great recipe I made for a friend. Super tasty and tender, this lamb dish takes quite a bit of time to cook but is super easy to make. On a beautiful summer night it felt like the perfect summer dish!


LAMB TAJINE WITH POTATOES
Makes 4 servings
 
INGREDIENTS
1kg boneless lamb shoulder, cut in dices
3 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, finely diced
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp powdered ginger
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
3 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
3 tbsp fresh flat parsley, chopped
¾ cup green olives, pitiless
3 cups potatoes, cut in dices
2 pinches saffron
1 tbsp extra olive oil

PREPARATION
In a large cooking pot, heat the olive oil over high heat and add the lamb cubes. Cook until they are evenly roasted (about 5 minutes). Take the lamb out into a bowl and keep on the side.


Reduce the heat and add the remaining olive oil. Add the onions and cook for about 5 minutes, until the onions are tender. Add the garlic, cumin and ginger, cook for another minute. Cover with 375ml of water. Scrape the bottom of the pot to keep the meat juices. Add the lamb and incorporate the paprika, salt and pepper. Add the coriander and parsley, cover and simmer over low heat for another 1 hour to 1h15 minutes, until the meat is tender.


Add the olives and cook for another 15 to 30 minutes.

Peel the potatoes and dice. Cook in slightly salted water with the saffron for about 10 minutes. Take out of the water and add the extra olive oil.


Transfer the lamb in a serving plate and spread the potatoes around the meat. Serve immediately.  


No comments:

Post a Comment