Thursday, October 6, 2011

Embracing The Best Of Fall With An Apple Crumble


I know, you probably know how to make this recipe already. It’s a classic in Quebec, especially during apple season. Apple picking is one of the great family activities you can do during the fall. And you really don’t have to go far to see the trees and enjoy picking the fruits. There are so many things you can cook with apples and this one is one of my personal favorites. In our family, my dad is the pro at this… probably because he doesn’t get to cook much in his house; he’s mastered his recipe over the years. It’s simple, always super tasty, and almost healthy because it’s filled with apples (oh yeah, and a little bit of sugar too!).

Still, I have a confession to make. I haven’t been apple picking this season. We really wanted to a few weeks ago, but our plans changed and we weren’t able to make it. And it’s been raining ever since. So I’ve been craving apple food lately. When I saw the beautiful McIntosh apples on sale at the supermarket, I couldn’t resist buying a few to make this great apple crumble. I know I’m totally cheating! But hey, sometimes you have to cheat to get the good stuff. Don’t tell me you never cheated at anything… If you haven’t, then you’re one of the few!

APPLE CRUMBLE
Makes about 8 servings

INGREDIENTS
Garnish
¾ cups flour
1 cup oatmeal
½ cup brown sugar
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
½ cup butter, melted

Stuffing
8 apples, peeled and roughly cut in cubes
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice

PREPARATION
Preheat your oven at 375˚F.

In a bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: flour, oatmeal, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add the butter and mix well.

In another bowl, mix the apples with the brown sugar and lemon juice. Spread in a rectangular oven-baking dish. Cook for 40 minutes.








Note: If you really want to go all out, this recipe is amazing when served warm with vanilla ice cream. 


No comments:

Post a Comment