Monday, October 24, 2011

When A Good Surprise Comes On A Plate: Veal Cutlets


Once in a while I try a new recipe I’m not convinced about. We’ve all got our personal taste and while some recipes might inspire you, it might not correspond to my idea of a good one. Still, once in a while, you have to go out of your comfort zone and try something you just don’t know if it’ll work out. I think this is what happened with this recipe.

I won’t hide it; I go to Costco every once in a while… if not every week or so! Hey, I’ve got a lot of diapers to buy so I’d rather do it there than at Walmart, if you know what I mean! Anyways, Costco holds a great selection of excellent meats, surprisingly. The other day, I decided to buy a pack of really really nice veal cutlets, bone on. I don’t know what took me but a simple glance at the pink meat got me straight to the heart; I had to buy it!

But when I got home, I was stuck. I really didn’t feel like simply grilling the damn thing; I felt like making it shine, I just didn’t know how. So I searched the web hoping to find inspiration. It was hard… It was a day my fridge was a little empty so I didn’t have most of the needed ingredients for the recipes. And then I found this recipe. I don’t know, there was something weird about mixing coconut milk with veal… but because I had coconut milk, it was what I was going to make. And OH BOY did I not regret it. This recipe was soooooooo tasty and yummy I literally licked my plate. The meat was amazingly nice and juicy and the sauce was simply delicious.

Which is why I love to go out of my comfort zone. Out of 3 trials, sure, I’ll miss twice but that time I won’t miss, it’ll be a real treat for the mouth and stomach!

MILK FED VEAL CUTLET WITH COCONUT MILK SAUCE
Makes 4 servings
 
INGREDIENTS
1 tbsp vegetable oil
4 veal cutlets (about 175g each), with bone
1 can of coconut milk (398ml)
½ cup chicken broth
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 shallot, thinly sliced
4oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 tsp Chinese 5-spice
The zest of 1 lemon
Salt & pepper

PREPARATION
In a skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat and cook the cutlets for 1 minute on each side. Take the cutlets off the heat and keep them on a side dish.

Add the coconut milk and the chicken broth in the skillet. Bring to a boil. Add the garlic, shallots, mushrooms, 5-spice and lemon zest. Add salt and pepper to taste. 

Put the cutlets back into the skillets and bring the heat down to medium-low heat. Cover and let simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until the sauce thickens and the meat is tender. Serve the cutlets covered in sauce.




Note: Veal is perfectly safe if it’s slightly pink on the inside.

You can serve you veal with lemon pasta or, as I did, a mushroom risotto. 


1 comment:

  1. That looks really incredible!! It's making me hungry...

    ReplyDelete